Everyone wakes up hoping to have a great day, but unfortunately, too many people do not have a clue how to make it happen. The quality of their day is left to chance, luck, or placed in someone else’s hands. Fortunately, having a great day, every day, is not difficult, especially, if you take responsibility for your happiness and DO the following:
- START your day by looking in the mirror. Take a deep breath, stick out your tongue at what you see, wink at who you see, wiggle your ears, laugh at what you see, but most of all, thank God you have eyes to see, a tongue to stick out, ears to wiggle, and a chance to breathe another day. Do not despair about yourself – you are the best you have;
- DRESS like you are proud to be alive: wear deodorant, wear clean clothes, comb your hair, and brush your teeth before you leave your house;
- RELAX and take the day as it comes. Do not try to conform the day to your desires. Slow down! There are no instant replays or do overs in life, so make the best of every moment, and do not take your one shot at living for granted;
- READ at least thirty minutes; seek to learn something new;
- COMMIT to three good turns – one for family, one for someone you don’t know, and one for yourself;
- DO at least one thing you don’t want to do;
- BE silly! Do something completely off the wall and different for you. Do not be afraid to be happy and enjoy life; you have earned it, and deserve it! Laugh! God did not put you on earth to be sad and create gloom. He put you here because he believed you make the world a better place to live;
- TELL at least one person you love him/her;
- TREAT yourself! At the end of the day, if you have accomplished everything on this list, treat yourself to your favorite ice cream and toppings in front of the mirror, if you completed at least six items on the list, smile in the mirror and give yourself thumbs up, if you accomplished less than six, but gave it your best, stand in front of the mirror and pat yourself on the back. Why stand in front of the mirror to treat yourself? So, you get accustomed to what a happy person looks like!
- GIVE thanks! At the end of the day, thank God for his blessings, and before you sign-off, do not forget to tell God you are ready for tomorrow if he is willing and will walk with you.
For those willing to take responsibility for their happiness, post this list on your bathroom mirror and on the refrigerator. Use the list daily! Your happiness begins with you, so give yourself permission to be happy, and see what happens. Put yesterday to bed, and before you worry about tomorrow, live the life out of today;
©Jack Linton, October 19, 2017