No matter the venue – television, radio, newspaper, or social media – you will likely hear “conservative” and “liberal” sloshed around like muddy drinking water. “Conservatives to the right, liberals to the left,” Jimmy Buffet might sing to illustrate the depth of understanding for these overused and abused words. If you are on the right, you are right, but if you are on the left, you are wrong, or should it be vice versa? Who knows! In today’s society, that question is too deep for the majority of people to comprehend.
Most people wouldn’t know a conservative from a liberal if one sat on their face and whistled Dixie. When it comes to beliefs and values, they simply pick up where grandpa and grandma left off and mama and daddy still reside and dance along blissfully naïve in their footsteps. They have no idea why they believe a certain way other than, somewhere along the way, they were told how they should think and believe. Original thought is not well in America.
William Shakespeare said, “Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.” It doesn’t get more miserable than the conservative and liberal relationship, nor do bedfellows come any stranger. Maturity wise, both groups are not too far removed from the backseat “he touched me” whine heard on long risible family vacations. They are reminders a mature understanding and acceptance of diversity and tolerance is not one of America’s strong points. However, a major part of the problem, overlooked by so many, is few people are purely conservative or liberal; people tend to fall somewhere in between, which adds confusion to the issue. To make matters worse, people are often tossed from the ranks of the conservative to the ranks of the liberal and back again with a word, statement, or action. Membership in either group depends as much on the moment as it does on embedded values. Like two people caught in a rocky marriage; it is hard to tell who you are in bed with sometimes, and that can indeed produce strange bedfellows.
You Know You Are in bed with. . . .
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if there is no foreplay;
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if you make love with the lights on;
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if your partner considers love making a duty;
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if your partner comes back for seconds;
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if your partner insists on paying because he/she doesn’t believe in a free ride;
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if sex is considered recreational;
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if there is a gun under the pillow;
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if there is a whip and a jar of honey under the pillow;
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if your partner believes the missionary position is the only one way to make love;
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if love making is a team sport;
- You know you are in bed with a conservative if your partner misses the point and is offended by this blog; and
- You know you are in bed with a liberal if your partner misses the point, and thinks the blog is a funny/satirical look at sex education.
So, are you and/or your partner a conservative or a liberal? More important, who cares! The truth is conservative and liberal tags are little more than excuses to enable people to express their ignorance about one another.
©Jack Linton, August 7, 2016